Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thanks, Indiana


Northwest Indiana SHRM Keynote
View more presentations from Tweetajob.
I'd like to thank the great team at the Northwest Indiana SHRM chapter for the invitation to deliver a keynote at their annual meeting. I talked about the history and future of talent acquisition. The videos didn't work -- a bummer, because they were great videos. If you get a chance, check them out. Some of my favorite examples of employer branding.
A special thank you goes to Sharron Hillman, the VP of Programs, an incredibly gracious and welcoming new friend! She made sure that I got there and back in one piece.
I met some wonderful folks doing cool things. I learned that many organizations are still afraid of social media. I learned that many HR practitioners also wear recruiting hats (I wrongly assumed that all HR organizations had spun off their recruiting organizations. Many haven't. I live in a bubble.) I also learned that I am winging it, without a strategy. So I will spend the rest of the day deep diving into strategy.
Of course, being on the road brings adventure. Turns out that I arrived right in the middle of the Kitchen and Bath trade show, and there were no rental cars to be found, unless you were willing to rent from a guy with a "mobile office" and pick up a pretty filthy wreck at the McDonald's near the airport. For some unexplained reason, he was being followed by the cops. Um, OK. Turned out just fine. The guy was a small business owner, having his best week ever. I'm happy I was his customer. I hope the cops didn't catch him.

No comments:

Post a Comment